60th District Court Home Page
Civil/Small Claims
Criminal Division
Traffic Division
Sobriety Court
Marriage Ceremonies
General Information
Maps to 60th District Court
Jury Duty Information
Probation Dept.
Make Payments Online
Frequently Asked Questions
Courtroom Etiquette
Court Weekly Docket

60th District Court Civil/Small Claims Division

What is Small Claims Court?

Civil/Small Claims - Where to Start

Collecting Your Money

Filing and Service Fees


What is Small Claims Court?

The Small Claims Court was established in 1968 as a division of the District Court system. Its purpose is to provide a court to be used by people without the aid of attorneys to settle monetary disputes of $5000 or less.

Some auto negligence cases may also be filed in the Small Claims Court.  Since July 1, 1980, the No-Fault Insurance Law permits lawsuits for accident-caused damages to motor vehicles under certain conditions.  

Although a party may seek legal advice before or after the hearing, he may not have an attorney represent him in court.  Parties are not allowed legal representation in Small Claims Court.  Each party simply states their case in their own words. After both sides have been heard, the judge or magistrate makes a ruling.

Once a ruling is made the parties must comply with the judge’s ruling. It’s important to remember that a judge’s decision is final in Small Claims Court. It cannot be appealed to a higher court. However, if the case is heard by a magistrate, either party may ask that the case be reheard by a judge if the magistrate’s decision is unfavorable.

How to Submit a Civil/Small Claims Lawuit:

The first step: Purchase form for $1.

form graphicFile a claim against the person or business you want to sue. This is done in person at a district court office. The claim can be filed in the county where the defendant lives, the county where the business is located, or in the county where the transaction took place.

Tell the clerk that you want to file a small claim. You will be be given instruction sheets explaining how the small claims division functions and how to begin and defend your case. You will also be given a simple form to fill out. The form is called an "Affidavit of Claim." * Please note that there are two different "back of form" pages which are both required to be filled out. You will need to know the exact name and address of the person or business you are suing, how much money you are suing for, and why you are suing. If you win the case, you are entitled to be reimbursed for the costs of filing your suit and having it served on the defendant. 

Be sure that you give the correct and complete name and address of the defendant. This is very important. Unless you have the correct person or business and address, you may not be able to collect any money you are awarded.  If you don't have correct name and address, it won't be served and therefore, will be dismissed.

If you have any questions or need help, ask the civil clerk. He or she will help you as much as is legally possible.  The clerk may tell you how to use the court, but may NOT give legal advice.

Before the hearing:

  • The court will notify the defendant that you have filed a claim. This is called "serving the defendant" with a summons. Both you and the defendant will be notified of the date of appearance which has been set by the court. The hearing is usually at least 30 days from the time you first filed your suit. If the defendant cannot be located and served, the suit cannot go forward. A summons may be served by any legally competent adult who is not a party or an officer of a corporate party in the case.
  • The person or business you are suing has the right to ask that the case be heard in a higher court, which is the general civil division of District Court. You will be notified if the defendant makes such a request.
  • It is also possible that the defendant will offer to pay out of court once a notice of your pending lawsuit is received. If you reach such an agreement, make sure that the terms of payment are put in writing and signed by both you and the defendant. Then file a copy of the agreement with the court. Once accepted by the court, the agreement becomes an official judgment of the court and is enforceable by law.
  • You should also contact any witnesses you want to appear in court on your behalf to document your claim.
  • The hearing will take place at the court where you filed your claim, unless another location is specified by the court. Be there on time. Be sure to bring all your evidence with you and make sure any witnesses are there on time.
  • If you fail to attend the hearing, your claim will be dismissed. If the defendant does not show up for the hearing, the court will usually grant you a "default judgment". This means that the judge decides in your favor even though the other side of the case has not been presented.

Collecting Your Money

If the judge decides in your favor, that means the defendant must pay you the amount ordered by the judge plus a small amount in court costs. If the defendant refuses to abide by the order of the court, there are various options open to you.

Contact the Civil/Small Claims Division where you have filed your claim to obtain information regarding post judgment proceedings. 


District Court Civil Fees
Effective March 1, 2016

Small Claims

Claim up to $600 $30.00
Claim over $600 to $1,750   $50.00
Claim over $1,750 to $10,000 $70.00

General Civil

Claim up to $600 $35.00
Claim over $600 to $1,750   $55.00
Claim over $1,750 to $10,000 $75.00
Claim over $10,000 up to $25,000 $160.00

Claim and Delivery

Other than money judgement $75.00
Plus money judgment up to $600   $110.00
Plus money judgment over $600 up to $1,750 $130.00
Plus money judgment over $1,750 up to $10,000 $150.00
Plus money judgment over $10,000 up to $25,000 $235.00

Landlord Tenant

Possession of Premises $55.00
Possession plus money judgment under $600   $90.00
Possession plus money judgment over $600 up to $1,750 $110.00
Possession plus money judgment over $1,750 up to $10,000 $130.00
Possession plus money judgment over $10,000 up to $25,000 $215.00


Appeal Fee $25.00
Motion Fee   $20.00
Jury Fee $50.00
Documents Served by Court Officer $26.00 Plus $0.81/Mile***
Certified Copies / Additional Pages $10.00 / $1.00
Certified Mail-Business Filing Fee $5.75*
Certified/Restricted Mail-Individuals Filing Fee $10.25*
For Issuance of Seizure of Property Order, Garnishment, Order of Eviction or Judgment Debtor Discovery Subpoena $15.00

*  Subject to change according to prevailing postal rates and weight of mailing.
**  Charged service fee plus mileage.
***  Caculated from the court to the place of service. Computed by the shortest distance. Subject to change upon annual evaluation of Michigan Department of Civil Service.

60th D.C. Home Page | Civil/Small Claims DivisionCriminal Division | Traffic Division
Marriage Ceremonies | General Information | Map | Jury Duty | Probation | Payments Online | FAQ's

Muskegon County, Michigan
District Court
990 Terrace Street
Muskegon, MI  49442
Phone (231) 724-6329
Civil Fax (231) 724-6638

Hours of Operation:
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday (Closed Holidays)