Food Service Licensing

State law requires the licensure of food service establishments (temporary and permanent). Types of food service establishments licensed by this program include:

  • Bars
  • Brew Pubs
  • Cafes
  • Cafeterias
  • Catering Kitchens
  • Catering Trucks
  • Coffee Shops
  • Commissaries
  • Delicatessens
  • Donut Shops
  • Grills
  • Lunch Counters
  • Nightclubs
  • Rental Halls
  • Restaurants
  • Sandwich Shops
  • Soda Fountains
  • Special Transitory Food Units (a temporary food establishment that is licensed to operate throughout the state without the 14-day limits or a mobile food establishment that is not required to return to a commissary)
  • Taverns
  • Temporary Food Service Stands at a Festival, Event, or Flea Market
  • Theaters
  • Vending Machines

The Michigan Department of Agriculture is responsible for inspecting and licensing establishments such as retail stores, bakeries, butcher shops, produce markets, food warehouses and processing plants as well as State or county fair concessions.

Home Kitchen

For information on preparing and selling food from your home kitchen, please read the Cottage Food law.

Guidance for Food Service Operators

Food Safety Laws

Educational Resources