Pistol Purchase Permits and Pistol Sales Records are obtained at the Muskegon County Sheriff's Office Records Division.
Before obtaining a Pistol Purchase Permit, read the following:
- Must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer; 18 to purchase from a private party.
- A driver's license is required to start the process and again when the permit is picked up.
- $10 for the notary fee (cash, check or credit card).
- The purchase permit may take up to 48 hours to be issued while the background check is completed.*Purchase Permits are valid for 30 days.
- Purchase Permits are needed when the buyer does not have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) and buys the gun from a private party.
- Pistol Sales Records are used when the buyer has a CPL or is purchasing a firearm from a dealer. They are free of charge and must be returned to us within 10 days of filling them out. These need to be returned to the buyer’s local police jurisdiction. Blank forms are available at the Muskegon Sheriff Office Records and online HERE.
- Both pistol sales records and purchase permits must be completed by both the seller AND the buyer. If the firearm was received from an estate, the seller information would not be completed.
Purchase Permits and Pistol Sales Records can be mailed to:
Muskegon County Sheriff Records Division
990 Terrace Street
Muskegon, MI 49442
Purchase Permits and Sales Records - The Necessary Information:
- Type (semi auto, revolver, other)
- Barrel Length
- Overall Length
- Party information