Notary Services/Becoming a Notary
Please see main Clerk's page for office hours and closures.
Due to limited space inside the offices, it will be necessary for you to have all of your requests/ applications completed before you are allowed inside the office, including having your identification documents and payment ready.
We have Notary services available for $10.00 per signature. The document must be completely filled out, except for your signature, and you must have valid picture ID. Please do not sign the document until you are in front of the Notary Public.
Becoming a Notary:
Notary Application Process - New and Renewal
Before you begin, please note:
- Your signature must match the name that has been printed as your "Commissioned Name." This is the signature that you will use when notarizing documents. This is also the way your name should appear on your Notary Bond.
- There are three separate costs/fees associated with becoming a notary.
- Do not enter the Clerk’s Office until you have all of your documents in order, including: 1. Completed Application, 2. Surety Bond, 3. Photo ID, and 4. Payment. Please read all instructions below.
1. Complete the Notary Application:
- Complete or print off the Notary Application through the Secretary of State’s website: NOTARY APPLICATION If you print off the application to complete, it must be legible. Print and bring to our office. You are encouraged to complete your application on line as the processing time is substantially less than mailed applications.
- MESSAGE FROM THE OFFICE OF THE GREAT SEAL: If you are receiving the error message "No existing Application" when attempting to upload your county approved application, you must start at the link above. Once you have filled out the online application, you will be prompted to print a paper application. Even if you have already printed your application and received the Seal and Oath, you MUST print this application, this is the only way to bypass the system to allow you to upload your application.
Your signature must match the name that has been printed as your "Commissioned Name." This is the signature that you will use when notarizing documents.
2. Obtain a surety bond in the amount of $10,000. Bonds are available through insurance agencies or bonding companies. The approximate cost is $55, although prices may vary from company to company. Your application signature, your commissioned name and surety bond must all match. If they do not all match, we will be unable to process your notary application. Do not sign your bond until requested to do so by County Clerk staff.
- The only exception to obtaining a surety bond is if you are an attorney. An attorney in good standing with the State Bar of Michigan is not required to obtain and file a surety bond with the County Clerk’s office. An attorney is required to go to the County Clerk’s office in their county of residence to take the Constitutional Oath and obtain the County Seal and Certification.
3. Bring the application, surety bond and full Power of Attorney to the County Clerk’s Office in the county where you reside. In Muskegon County, the filing fee is $10.00. If you are paying by check or money order, please have it made out to Muskegon County Clerk and indicate your driver’s license number and telephone number on the check or money order.
4. County Clerk staff will verify that you have complied with the necessary requirements in the designated area on your completed Notary Public Application. If all requirements are met, they will administer the Oath of Office.
5. After taking the Oath, the Clerk will have you sign the application, agreeing to all conditions stated.
6. Once you have finished the online application AND have your county approved application (with oath and seal) you will go to https://dsvsesvc.sos.state.mi.us/TAP/_/#1 and click on "Upload Notary County Approval" . This will prompt you to log into Mi Login to now upload your county approved application. You may also forward your completed application with the $10 non-refundable processing fee to the following address, however, the processing time is substantially greater if your application is mailed:
Michigan Department of State
Office of the Great Seal
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48918
Do not send cash, please send a check or money order payable to the "State of Michigan".