- Group 1: Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 50% or more and/or veterans determined by VA to be unemployable due to service-connected conditions.
- Group 2: Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated at 30 or 40%.
- Group 3: Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 10 and 20%; veterans who are former Prisoners of War (POW) or were awarded a Purple Heart medal; veterans awarded special eligibilities for disabilities incurred in treatment or participation in a VA Vocational Rehabilitation program; and veterans whose discharge was for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
- Group 4: Veterans receiving aid and attendance or housebound benefits and /or veterans determined by the VA to be catastrophically disabled.
- Group 5: Veterans receiving VA pension benefits or eligible for Medicaid programs, and not service-connected veterans and non-compensable, zero % service-connected veterans whose gross annual household income and net worth are below the established VA means test thresholds.
- Group 6: Veterans of WWI; veterans seeking care solely for certain conditions associated with exposure to radiation during atmospheric testing or during the occupation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki; for any illness associated with participation in tests conducted by the Department of Defense (DOD) as part of 112/Project SHAD; veterans with zero % service-connected disabilities who are receiving disability compensation benefits and veterans who served in a theater of combat after November 11, 1998 as follows:
- Veterans discharged from active duty on or after January 28, 3003, who were enrolled as of January 28, 2008 and veterans who apply for enrollment after January 28, 2008, for 5 years post discharge.
- Veterans discharged from active duty before January 28, 2003, who applied for enrollment after January 28, 2008, until January 27, 2011.
- Group 7: Veterans with income and / or net worth above the VA national income threshold and income below the geographic income threshold who agree to pay co-pays.
- Group 8: Veterans with income and/or net worth above the VA national income threshold and the geographic income threshold who agree to pay co-pays.
No matter your status, every veteran should be registered with the VA. Things happen and category requirements change. Your income status and medical condition can change in a heartbeat. If you don’t qualify under one of the eight categories now, your situation might change and you will already be in the system.