Frequently Asked Questions

Muskegon County Circuit Court Records Office, located on the 6th floor, is open to the public Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for all services.

If you have document requests or inquiries, you may also send those requests to

1.  If you plan to come into our office, please be advised that you will have to go through a short health-screening procedure which includes answering two health.  Using the QR code below will speed up the entrance process. Just keep the final screen up on your phone to show at the front door.

2.  Due to limited space inside the offices, it will be necessary for you to have all of your requests/applications completed before you are allowed inside the office, including having your identification documents and payment ready. 

3.  Please keep in mind that the offices close at 4:30 p.m. and some services can take up to 20 minutes to perform. Please allow for this when coming in to our office.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I file for Divorce?

If filing without an attorney, there is a website that is available to download the necessary forms, along with instructions on how to file the appropriate documents.

What is the filing fee for filing for divorce?

If filing for divorce involves minor children, the filing fee is $255.00

If filing for divorce without minor children, the filing fee is $175.00

*if a person is on public assistance or is low income, a Fee Waiver Request (MC 20) may be filled out to waive the above fee.  Please be sure if on public assistance, you include your public assistance case number, as that needs to be filled out on the form. This form can be found at the following website address:

How can I search for a case to find out the status of the case and when the next hearing is?

Click on the following link for Circuit Court cases:

Click on the following link for District Court cases:

Click on the following link for Probate cases:

These links are also located on the Muskegon County website under Online Case Search.

How do I file for a legal name change?

Legal name change packets are sold for $5.00 at the Circuit Court Records Department located on the 6th Floor of the HOJ Building or can be obtained online at .  The packet includes instructions for filing for a name change, as well as the required forms to be filed.  New name change filing fee is $187.00. 

How do I get my conviction set aside or expunged?

Set Aside Conviction packets are sold for $5.00 at the Circuit Court Records Department, located on the 6th Floor of the HOJ Building (or can be obtained online ( packet includes instructions for filing a set aside conviction, as well as the required forms to be filed.  There is no filing fee for this type of filing.

**Please note:  At least five (5) years have passed since sentence was imposed or discharge from imprisonment, probation, or parole for this conviction, whichever is later**

Who do I reach when I have a question concerning my jury duty service?

Circuit Court Jury Clerk:  724-8825

Jury Hotline:  724-6395

Who do I call to request a transcript of my court hearing?

You will call the Judge’s secretary who the court case is presiding with.

Who do I call with questions regarding tickets or driver’s license suspensions?

District Court – Operations:  724-6302 (1st Flr HOJ Bldg)

Where do I go if I want to evict someone from a home I own?

District Court – Civil:  724-6329 (1st Flr HOJ Bldg)

Who do I contact if I need to reschedule a Circuit Court hearing date?

The judge’s secretary the case is assigned to.

Who do I contact with questions concerning my Circuit Court fines, costs, and payment plan?

Circuit Court Collections Department:  724-3470 (3rd Floor, HOJ Bldg)

I have a question regarding child support, parenting time, custody, paternity establishment, who do I contact?

Contact the State Interactive Voice Response (IVR) at 877-543-2660.  Listen to the prompts and it will direct you to the right person within the 14th Circuit Friend of the Court.

I would like to pay for a document I requested from Circuit Court Records, how do I make this payment online?

Go to the following website: or call 1-888-604-7888.  The fee for certification is $10.00 per document and $1.00 per page. If you are paying via online, please use the following PLC code:  5115.  ***Please note there is a convenience fee for using both of these services.  The fee chart is located on this site. Please also note there is a significant difference when utilizing the phone service versus going online (can be as much as $7.00 more for using the phone service).

I would like to file a Personal Protection Order (PPO) against someone.  How would I do that?

For PPO’s:

Personal Protection Orders-

Attorneys and self-represented litigants can file PPO Petitions via:

 Mail- Attention 3rd Floor PPO Clerk, HOJ, 990 Terrace St., Muskegon MI 49442

 Email-

 Drop Box- Located at HOJ, 990 Terrace St., Muskegon MI 49442

PPO Petition Forms, available at:

 SCAO Court Forms-

 Michigan Legal Self-Help Center of Muskegon County-

 Forms available in the vestibule at the Hall of Justice

I have a question concerning adoptions.  Who do I contact?

Adoption Petitions are being accepted via mail. They can be mailed to: Attn:  Adoption Coordinator, 3rd Floor Hall of Justice, 990 Terrace, Muskegon, MI 49442.

I have a question concerning wills, guardianships and conservatorships.  How do I obtain information regarding this?

 Probate Court (see Muskegon County website– Frequently asked questions)